Friday, 20 January 2012

Recycled tin can

What do you do with a bored daughter, off school with a bit of a cold? Yep, make something. One (washed and dried!) tin can, some denim and some wool and voilà (don't know why I thought I needed a French word there...):
recycled tin can crafts
I'd had this idea in my mind for a while as a solution to this:
This is much more pleasing:
It was really quick and easy and best of all used things we already had. First of all I measured the circumference of the tin, allowing for a bit of an overlap and also the height of the tin from just under the top "lip" to just above the bottom "lip". I transferred these measurements onto the back of my denim and cut out with pinking shears, allowing 1cm extra on one of the short sides
Then turned back that extra 1cm, top stitched it and added the button using a bit of the wool.
I stuck the denim to the tin using everyday white glue, then to finish I glued and wound the wool round the top and bottom of the tin, so hiding the edges of the denim.
recycled tin can
After recycling my tin, I found loads of inspiration and instructions (duhh-why do I do things the wrong way round?) about recycling tin cans. You can find some ideas here. Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

isleofswitzerland.blogspot.com said...

Looks great! I love the attention to detail, the pink stitching on the white button. Very Swiss!

The Expat Wife said...

Oh I love it! I will have to show my daughter to see if she would like to make one with me

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails