Friday, 13 January 2012

Knitted Ruffle Scarf

When my 11-year old daughter told me they were knitting scarves at school, I expected her to bring home the standard long oblong of knitting, odd stich dropped etc. I didn't expect her to bring home this:

knitted ruffle scarf

Isn't it fabulous? And I was lucky enough to receive this as my Christmas present this year. You knit with a "ribbon" or "mesh" yarn, only 8-10 stiches, big needles, garter stitch all the way. There's a simple tutorial for this kind of yarn here:


Although I am not a knitter, I decided I would like to try my hand at this as it seemed fairly easy and so we made a couple more scarves for Christmas presents - they are really quick to make, literally a few nights whilst watching TV (photos are a bit naf, sorry, but you get the idea!!)

knitted



This yarn had integrated pompoms (!) and was called "Rocio" from Katia.


There's a tutorial for this yarn here:



And this black, grey and white one was made using a yarn called "Rete" from Lana Grossa.

There are lots of different ribbon or mesh yarns around, but you'll find instructions on the yarn label or, of course, from your local wool shop! Get those needles out!

4 comments:

Wokywoman said...

Very cool scarf, say congrats to your daughter. I am glad that Laura started to learn knitting one year early in the 3. Klasse, and now she has continued and Nonna has ow shown her stocking stitch, and yes there are a few holes, but she loves doing it!

Juanita Tortilla said...

I am loving the poofiness of the scarves! So interesting that they learn to knit in school. I remember learning how to operate a sewing machine (not exactly constructing a proper garment) and basic cooking :D

swisssidejewelleryetc said...

Thank you Louise and Juanita for your comments - yes, I think it's great that the kids learn to knit in school - don't know how this will go down with my son in a couple of years time, but you never know....

Brianna A said...

For a HUGE selection of this kind of yarn, check out www.beadadyxyarn.com they have new styles of netted yarn that I just tried, and love the way it turns out. And they are cheap!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails