Tuesday, 22 June 2010

Making a cushion from an old T-shirt....

Yes, I know. Those of you who know me will be pretty surprised at the title. That's because, when it comes to sewing, I am seriously challenged. That's challenged with a capital C. In fact, even thinking about getting the sewing machine out makes me break out in a cold sweat. By the time I have got it out, my hands are trembling...and not with anticipation or excitement. No, unfortunately I'm not the kind of woman who can rustle up a ball gown from an old scarf and a length of elastic. Alas. So, why on earth would I want to embark on a sewing project, I hear you ask? Well, maybe it was the lure of re-cycling something I had enjoyed wearing, or maybe I know deep down that I must, one day, get to grips with my sewing phobia.
Here's the T-shirt before...

recycled T-shirt

And here it is after my efforts...



Phew - it's actually turned out ok. I drew around a dinner plate to make a paper circle pattern, then pinned the circle over the silver writing on the front of the T-shirt, leaving the T-shirt double and then cut through both layers of material to get a back and a front to my cushion. I then used the sleeves for the strip around the middle. After sewing it up (only broke the thread once :))I hand-stitched the silver cord around the front seam (takes forever if you are me) and finally added the buttons at the bottom to hide the join of the silver cord, as I couldn't think of another way to hide it!

If you have recycled / re-purposed old clothes or fabric and written about it on your blog, why not leave me a comment with the link to that post. Or, if you have come across a good idea for recycling fabrics, please add a comment and the link.

Off to rummage in my sewing box now...

2 comments:

Juanita Tortilla said...

That cushion is unbelievably well done!

I can't think of any projects to upcycle old shirts. Will talk about it when the time comes!

isleofswitzerland.blogspot.com said...

Can I just say that the cushion is fabulous! How talented you are!!! When can we put in an order for one....?!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails