Saturday, 19 December 2009

O Tannenbaum, o Tannenbaum.....

I was recently amused to read Chantal's story about buying a Christmas tree. Yep, can relate to the ins and outs of that. Having grown up in England, I was used to having an artificial tree with a string of lights on and for me, that was really Christmassy. 21 years ago I moved to Austria where Christmas trees are the real thing, for goodness sake and you only bring them in and decorate them on the 24th, not put them up at the end of November and have them jollily twinkling away for the whole of the Christmas period. I always found it a bit of a chore to go and buy a real tree, transport it home, attach it to its base, remember to add water or else the needles would fall off sooner than they already did etc etc. Not to mention the fact that I always missed the date when you can dispose of your tree, so therefore had it forlornly hanging around outside for months. Oh, the memories of that uncomplicated, artificial tree. However, living in Austria and now in Switzerland, I felt it would be unheard of to mention the word "artificial" in the same sentence as the words "Christmas tree". Especially as some people in Switzerland (and I have experienced this) go to a designated area of the forest on a special date and CHOP DOWN THEIR OWN CHOSEN TREE. Imagine my surprise and delight, when, a few years ago, I went round to my ex-neighbour and good friend Monique's house for a coffee around the beginning of December and saw that she had a lovely artificial Christmas tree. Oh, how lovely, I exclaimed. Yes, she said, isn't it. We've had it for years now and always put it away carefully so that it looks nice year after year. No apologies for it not being real, no excuses about not wanting real candles on a tree with 2 small children around. Well, I thought that was my license to buy, so I went out a few days later and purchased an artificial tree. My husband was shocked (he is Austrian), but when we put it up again this year, he did comment on how nice it looked....And Monique? I met up with her last Saturday and asked her if she had her tree up. No, she said. After 18 years of an artificial tree, we thought it about time we got a real one!!

And talking of Christmas trees, how about this easy decoration to make with the kids:



Cut out a Christmas tree from corrugated green paper. Cut out a hole large enough to accomodate a Christmas bauble - our hole is a bit wonky, but you can maybe help with the cutting out. Cut a smaller hole above this hole. Take your bauble and 2 lengths of thin ribbon in green and red (or other Christmassy colours). Thread ribbons through the hook in the top of the bauble and then thread the 2 ribbons first from front to back through the large hole and then from back to front through the smaller hole in the Christmas tree. Tie the four ends of the ribbon in a bow at the front so that you can't see the smaller hole. Add star stickers to decorate if you wish. Pierce a small hole right at the top of the tree and add thread to hang up.

Have a great Christmas everyone. Back in the New Year!

3 comments:

juanitatortilla said...

Enjoy your Christmas!

Chopping down a fresh tree? Aye... I personally would rather have trees alive :(

isleofswitzerland.blogspot.com said...

Just to tell you we have had the same Christmas tree for 10 years (obviously it is fake!!) and we all love it. It's not big but it is sparkly and bright and over the years I have changed the "bobbles" etc! ;-)

Chantal said...

Glad you enjoyed the story!

If I ever go artificial, I'll be sure to let you know!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails