Friday, 11 December 2009

In the interest of integration....

As you might know, we have recently moved from Basel to our present address near to Zürich. Keen to meet new people and integrate into the community here, I always say yes to any invites I receive and I never cancel. This week one of my neighbours had asked me if I wanted to go with her to Aquafit at the school swimming pool. As this is only a five minutes' walk and as I do like water etc, I saw it as a good opportunity to do a bit more, well, integrating. I thought it was going to be like keep-fit, or aerobics, in the water - you know something jolly and a little bit sporty. Instead it was extremely, excruciatingly embarassing. First of all, we had to put on what looked like a huge, black nappy thing, velcro strips and all, to help us stay afloat. Then the whole "lesson" consisted of jogging round the pool, with a couple of minutes of other exercises in the middle. Have you ever tried jogging in water? It feels a bit like that dream, you know when you want to run away from something, but you can't get away fast enough. Well, the others had all had 8 lessons, so knew the technique but I just ended up feeling self-conscious and ridiculous and wishing I could get out. We spent a good half an hour going round the pool, jogging, I should say, in a figure of eight and had to criss-cross with other people in the middle. Well, I was almost always too slow and consequently constantly missed my "gap". The crunch came when, for one part of this figure of eight circuit, we had to take 2 polystyrene floats, wedge them under each arm and, well, flap with them whilst still jogging. I have no idea what the point of this exercise was, I just knew that I was doing it wrong. As soon as I "flapped", my whole body catapulted upwards and out of the water like Superman or something. But, get this - when the others did it, their bodies stayed in the water. How weird is that? I'm actually having delayed hysterics writing this! No, not my thing. The lesson to be learned here? Integration is good, but there are limits:/

4 comments:

juanitatortilla said...

Oh dear I'm sorry I know I shouldn't be laughing but I am... Not adding a comma to illustrate how I am trying to catch up with my breath...

Flapping and catapulting out of the water. I have mental pictures !!! (Hahahaha...)

I guess, no Aquafit for me then.

But good on you for taking the step to integrate! (My integral step was to join a German class. That was it.)

isleofswitzerland.blogspot.com said...

I too am in hysterics laughing at you flapping around the pool! What are you like....?

Beadin By The Sea said...

Oh, I'm so sorry, but you made me laugh! Integrating does come with a high price sometimes. We've all had our moments...

Elisa said...

oh, yikes. Ok, made a note to avoid Aquafit :-)

Zurich is beautiful, I'm sure you will enjoy living here a lot! And if you want to do something non-embarrassing and chilled, like taking a walk on the lake or having a chat at Starbucks, I'm your girl ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails