Thursday, 26 November 2009

This is for Juanita!

As I mentioned in my previous post, I went to a party this week with my husband and children. I got talking to my husband's newest male collegue and the inevitable question arose. "What do you do?", he asked. My heart sank. All too often I've said I'm a stay-at-home Mum to see people's eyes glaze over and it's also a complete conversation stopper. At this point, may I say, if you are guilty of your eyes glazing over when faced with this reply to your question, please learn a couple of useful sentences to get yourself over this, something like "Yes, well that's a very worthwhile career" or "I bet you could tell us a story or two", or something like that. But, I digress. So, yes the dreaded question had been asked. This time, quick as a flash, I told this chap that I was a Domestic Engineer. He was suitably impressed. "Oh, oh, yes, I see," he said. Then a frown formed on his face. "What is that, exactly?", he asked. "Well", I said, "you are probably more familiar with the term Hausfrau". At this point he laughed so much that I thought he was going to spill his drink. And I had to laugh too. And Juanita? See her blog and more specifically her profile. Thanks for the tip, Juanita!

3 comments:

juanitatortilla said...

Oh Vicky... I can't claim credit for coining the term "Domestic Engineer" -- I got that from the movie 'Benny & Joon' (it was a Johnny Depp phase, then). Here's a little scene from the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT6RzQK_luI

Oh gosh, do I not get that glazed over look at occasions? Ever too often! Worse for me, since I do not have little humans to pick up after. But Fluffy and a husband is enough work for me as it is -- not enough "me" time for hobbies!

All jokes aside, being a stay-at-home mum IS a job.

K S Jewellery Designs said...

Hooray for you and Juanita! What is it about society that stay at home mums (or stay at home wives) feel we need to excuse our status? We should be proud. Also, working mums get a rough deal too, so you can't win either way!
Keep smiling and keep creating
Kristin :)

Amanda said...

Oh, Vicky, I am so glad you used that term you heard from Juanita. I have too, only it went something like this:
"Babe, ask me what I do."
"What do you do?"
"I'm a Domestic Engineer. See, babe, we're both engineers!"

Juanita, if you're reading this - I don't have a Fluffy OR little humans and I still find that I run out of time to work on my hobbies (namely the jewelry stuff and Etsy shop I've been talking about opening for 4 months)...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails