Tuesday, 13 October 2009

Castles and Cakes

The children are on the second week of their Autumn half-term holiday and we have quite a busy week planned, as it is my son's 6th birthday on Thursday. We are off into town today to spend his birthday money - when I asked him what he wanted to spend it on, he cooly replied that he would see what he could get for that amount! Logical really. Then tomorrow we are making the Birthday Cake for the party on Thursday. Now, as I have mentioned before, I am not naturally domesticated and things like making a birthday cake can, quite frankly, send me into a flat spin. This time last year was a good example. I asked my son what kind of cake he would like for his birthday, thinking along the lines of chocolate or carrot. "A Knights' Castle one", he replied. Aha. So I thought about it for a while and reckoned I only had to make 2 loaf cakes to make a castle with 2 towers. I had got the 2 cakes in the oven when I had a horrible thought. I had cleaned the oven the day before and realized now, when the cakes were beginning to rise, that I had forgotten to clean the stuff off the oven door!!! Well, that was that. I couldn't use those cakes and risk poisoning 8 children. So the cakes were dumped and the oven door was scrubbed to within an inch of its life. Now, at this stage, a normal person would have just gone out and bought 2 loaf-shaped cakes, cut them up and decorated them. However, 2 of the children coming to the party had a wheat allergy, so I had to make the cakes again myself using non-wheat flour. Duhh!! It took me until 11pm and then I spent the whole morning decorating the cakes to make them ressemble a castle of sorts.



After all that, my son, over-excited by his presents and his friends, barely gave the cake a second glance. And the wheat-allergy kids? They didn't want a piece of cake. I can assure you that this year's cake will be a simple affair with 6 candles...

4 comments:

isleofswitzerland.blogspot.com said...

What a lovely photo - how talented you are!! Wishing you all an enjoyable birthday party with whatever type of cake you have. Hard to believe 6 candles!!

K S Jewellery Designs said...

Love following your blog - coz you make me giggle - your life is very similar to mine sometimes with your kids and all that goes with being a mum.

I hate the whole 'birthday cake' scenario and now rely on shop bought cakes for parties and try not to worry that other mums go to so much effort (once it's cut up and wrapped in a napkin, do they really care what it looked like?)

Happy days!
Kristin :)

Beadin By The Sea said...

Oh, it's just beautiful but what a lot you had to go through to make it! I remember those days of fancy birthday cakes. Now I just bake a chocolate cake, add the white icing and put sprinkles on it! Voila!

Magriet said...

The cake came out beautifully :) When my son was 3, he asked his grandmother if she could please back his birthday cake "coz mummy's not very good at baking cakes". Absolutely fine by me :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails