Thursday, 14 May 2009

Book review

As you know, I am a bit of a bookworm. I've just finished reading this book, which my Auntie lent me during my last visit to the U.K:

Birdcage

I'd never read anything by Marcia Willett before and I must say, it is a really good read, very well written and one of those books you keep wanting just to read a few more pages of to see what happens (cursing yourself next day for not going to bed earlier!). The story revolves around Lizzie and her search later in life to find her mother's former lover, who became like a father to her, but who ultimately went back to his wife. It is set for the most part in Dunster, a picturesque village on Exmoor and this was a bit of trip down memory lane for me too. As a child, we used to drive down to North Devon from the Midlands for a week each Summer. As we set off during the night, we used to have a breakfast stop in Dunster and I can still picture the Yarn Market. What a lovely surprise then, this week, with the book still fresh in my mind, to receive a postcard of the Yarn Market, Dunster from my Auntie and Uncle who are on holiday in Devon this week.

I'd be interested to know if you find these reviews useful/interesting :) Off to find a new book now.....

2 comments:

BeadyPool said...

Oh I love her books, very readable. I don't think I have read that one though - will see if I can find it next time I am at the library. She wrote a lovely one that was based near St Ives if I remember correctly - made me very homesick.
BTW I have moved my blog to http://beadypool.blogspot.com hope to see you over there sometime Vx

Swiss Side Jewellery etc said...

Hi Veryan,
Think I have now worked out how to re-follow your blog at your new address. Hope so anyway :)
Vicky

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails