Thursday, 16 April 2009

Hammers

A few weeks ago I said to my husband "I need some hammers". "We've got hammers in the cellar", he said. "Yes, but not the sort I need", I said. He probably rolled his eyes at that. But it was true. When following wire-work instructions, I always had to ignore the bits that said "now work-harden on your steel block" or "now flatten with a chasing hammer". Duuh ! Anyway, my 5-year old son was very impressed when Mummy received a parcel from Beadsisters, containing 2 hammers and a steel block. And since then I have been able to bash things (metal bits, I mean!) and very satisfying it is too.

hammers

I have been sensibly using craft wire to practise, and, as you can see from the photo, this is very wise, as it takes a few goes to get the shapes right and also to find out which lengths of wire work best. Never thought I would buy myself a hammer, though......:)

5 comments:

Beadin By The Sea said...

They are fun aren't they. My husband and son laugh still laugh everytime I start making noise. Watch your fingers though, I whacked mine a couple days ago and have a nice bruise!

K S Jewellery Designs said...

Welcome to the world of hammering - it's great fun and quite addictive - have you got a texture hammer yet?
Kristin :)

Swiss Side Jewellery etc said...

Oooh, Kristin, a texture hammer !? That sounds great - maybe you can do a post about it on your blog - would love to see what possibilities that opens up....
Vicky

K S Jewellery Designs said...

I get most of my texture with a small pointed hammer but I am quite tempted to invest in a different texture - maybe squares?!
Kristin :)

Leah said...

Hammers are just the beginning ;) Have fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails