Tuesday, 3 March 2009

Snow Time


We're back from a week's skiing in a tiny Swiss resort called Mörlialp. This photo was taken on one of the runs down. Beautiful, isn't it ? We hadn't planned on having a skiing holiday this year, then friends offered us their lovely apartment there (thanks, Kim and Andy for that). Mörlialp is situated about 40 mins from Lucerne, at the top of a 12km windy road. You literally can't go any further and all the accomodation is right at the bottom of the slopes. There are 2 restaurants, but no shops, not even a supermarket, so our week consisted of skiing and eating ! Oh, and due to no computer or Internet, I got to read this book:

It's a good read, really funny.
When we went to hire our skis, we had to give our weight to get the bindings set up right. I was rather indignant to discover that the ski shop's scales showed my weight as 3.5 kg more than my scales at home !! However, I was wearing boots and carrying my bag when I weighed myself. When I got home, still feeling a little bit ruffled, I decided to weigh said boots and bag. Brilliant. (You can just imagine me doing this, very surreptitiously I might add). Anyway, these added up to 1.6 kg, leaving just about 2kg "unaccounted for". I reckoned I would ski this off anyway. And the moral of this story ? Always weigh yourself on the same set of scales ? Don't bother with scales at all ? Take your pick. Needless to say I have not weighed myself since coming home:{
Another thing I noticed - after 4 days my 2 children can ski more effortlessly down a steepish slope than I can after 20 years ! Kim would say it is all to do with their centre of gravity....
It's taking me ages to write this as I keep getting called away to play knights and castles - kids have this week off school. This, plus the fact that we are RELOCATING (aaagghh!!) means that time for jewellery making is a little thin on the ground at the moment. Yes, we are moving from Basel to Zürich, so still staying in Switzerland. Good job that, or I would have had to think up a new blog name...So at the moment we are feverishly looking for a house to move to around the beginning of July. We will be leaving behind some very good friends and neighbours, so it will be a bit of a wrench, but we will hopefully find our feet sooner rather than later.
This has turned into rather a mammoth post, so TTFN.

3 comments:

K S Jewellery Designs said...

Wow! Your mountain picture is amazing - I clicked on it to get it larger and the colours are truly spectacular.
Kristin :)

Swiss Side Jewellery etc said...

Hi Kristin,
Can't take any credit for the picture, as my Hubby took it ! But I did tell him to take it tho.....
Vicky

Beadin By The Sea said...

I'm glad to hear you had such a wonderful relaxing week. The picture is beautiful, you live in such a gorgeous country. I don't know how far you are relocating, but I wish you the best with your move. We've relocated back to WA from KS last year and I know how stressful it can be.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails