Friday, 19 December 2008

Dabbling...

The reason there is an "etc" in my blog name is that I'm a bit of a dabbler. Sometimes I see things and think "I could make that" and then have a go. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it's just a disaster. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I was walking through the haberdashery department of a large store en route to the toy department and I saw this wool. It jumped out at me and said "buy me and make a scarf with me". Now, I am not a knitter. In fact I haven't done any knitting for about 20 years, basically because I was never very good at it. Knit one, purl one, drop one, that's me. And once they've been dropped that's it, if you see what I mean. Game over, so to speak. However, I now found myself accosting the shop assistant about what size needles to use and how many balls etc and here's the story so far:



OK, so it's not rocket science or anything, but I am really chuffed with it. The wool is lovely - it's called Saltado from Schachenmayr and it changes from fringes, to chenille to bobbles so you don't have to join new wool all the time. Brilliant - this kind of thing wasn't around when I last did some knitting - the most exciting thing was mohair - and I'm really enjoying doing it.

Apart from the usual Christmas things I've made a couple of pairs of earrings:

handmade birthday earrings
Funny colour for Christmas, I hear you say, but they are for a birthday celebration and I happen to know the birthday girl loves these beads...And then there's:

handmade commission earrings
These ones are the commission I mentioned in my last post. The request was for plain and simple, to match a rather lovely jazzy necklace, which had these black beads in it. Wishing you all a stress-free run up to Christmas :)

1 comment:

Ali P said...

hey Vicky, i love that yarn you've bought to make a scarf - your knitting skills look pretty good to me - I have to say I was pretty hopeless when I tried it at school and haven't had a go again since, but I'm quite encouraged to give it a go again now!
Hope you have a lovely Christmas ;)
Ali

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails